Monday, February 05, 2007

Giya Kancheli

There was a world premiere of a work by Giya Kancheli last month in Athens. It is a concertante work for accordeon and orchestra; it was ordered by the Athens concert hall and of course, premiered there by the house orchestra, the Camerata.

I couldn't be there to listen to the concert, and I also didn't read yet any critic of it. What was though interesting, is the interviews Kancheli gave to some Greek journalists. One might think that he was rude to them, since his answers were ...well, a bit rude. On the other hand, I though they were stupid questions in the first place. So, while reading a couple of them, I thought there's a composer who's not a politician. In other words, there's a composer worth meeting and talking to...

I've been dealing a lot with contemporary composers the last few years, that is, almost the last 10 years... They can be very interesting people, although, sometimes the music does the work better than they do it... So, that's why I was a bit impressed by these interviews.

Listen to some contemporary music next time...

PS:The young brother of this blog is born. He likes Greek classical music, and he will deal with it. See you there too.

buzz it!

4 comments:

Derek said...

έχεις link της συνέντευξης?

Στέφανος Νάσος said...

Καλώς ήρθες Γιώργο!

So, Mr Derek is asking for some link of these interviews.
Here's the first (in Greek, anyway). The other I can't find, I'm sorry... It might have been something I read in Athens during the Christmas-new year holiday.

Anonymous said...

You a modern music lover? A composer's friend? mmmmm. How well do you know Kancheli's works?. Could be interesting if you introduce to us a bit about this "not politician" composer.

Στέφανος Νάσος said...

Nice, some challenges out there...

First of all, I didn't mention to be either a modern music lover or a composer's friend. (by the way, most of my colleagues would dismiss right away the term "modern", since it's simply wrong, when you refer to contemporary music...)

Then, I also didn't mention anything about Kancheli's music. In fact, I can honestly tell you that I'm about to listen my first CD of his music, a record by ECM, with his piano quartet, "V&V", and "Time... and again".

I understand the point of your sarcasm, and accept that you might be right when you imply that Kancheli's not what he seems to be... I just read some interviews and expressed my opinion on that. If you have a different one, you're more than welcome to share it with us, provided that you can speak with your name, or even a nickname... anyone can make up one.

So, I'm sorry I can't introduce you to him yet. Maybe at some point later.

And anyway, this blog is not about music. It is about the business, the musicians, the threats, the up-sides of the profession and the latter itself.

Stefanos